Wednesday, September 9, 2026

Very Delayed Gratification

    I ordered a book as part of my regular order for my bookstore back in July. Unfortunately, they were out of stock, but expected the title to be back in stock relatively soon. I backordered the book, but it came in just after the rest of the order was processed. So, instead of having the book as part of that order, the title would be held until the next regular order. Strangely enough, when this happened at other times, the book was added to the order even as it was being processed. I finally placed a new order in the middle of August. Instead of the order being shipped immediately, it was held in processing for two weeks. After a week, we called the distributor to see what the hold up was. It turns out, someone other than me had ordered a book that was print-on-demand.  Although the inventory check said that the book was already available, we had to wait over a week for the actual book to be printed before the rest of the order could be sent. (Okay, there was a second book as well, but there was nothing overt about it that suggested it was POD as well.) Finally, this weekend, I checked in on the order, and I found out it was getting ready to be shipped. Well, the packing label was printed, but the actual order wouldn't be sent out until yesterday, Tuesday, due to the three-day weekend. The order is supposed to be delivered sometime tomorrow morning, and I will finally get my book. Technically, it is the only special order with it. A woman had asked for a book on medicinal plants, but she hasn't been back since to look in upon it. We needed the book for the store anyway.
    That's not the only thing I have been waiting on. Back in early August, my local comic book store had another one of its missed shipments. Actually, make that two, as it didn't receive any comics of mine for the first two weeks of the month.  So, I went and placed on online order with one of the places I had been dealing with for the past year. I also ordered a comic I missed from back in June that had been missed from both my local store and the other online store I deal with. However, the online store took so long to get to my order that two of the comics had already sold out. One, the missed one from June, had already been reordered for the store as a second printing (I think) and that asked if I wanted to hold my order until in came in.  I said yes. This weekend, I finally got the email saying the comic was in, after three weeks of waiting. The next issues of many of the comics are coming out this week. I've even put off reading other comics that are part of a crossover until these come in. Like the book order above, they should be in tomorrow.  The worst part though is that my local shop, although it has been improving lately, frequently doesn't get their regular order for the second week of the month, which is this week. It also has problems getting deliveries after a federal holiday, like Monday was. So, I might have to place another online order almost immediately after I get this one.
    Finally, I mentioned back in June about a special limited-edition flavor of ice cream that involved blueberries that I wanted to try. While it was available around here, it was out at times where it was either too hot to try and take something frozen that far, or I didn't have the extra money, or it was at a store where I couldn't get it from due to a lack of room at my own store's mini-fridge. When all the conditions were finally right, it was all sold out. I thought my one chance had been blown. But wait. Last night, a store that hadn't gotten the flavor before had some. While I couldn't buy it last night, due to a long stop I was going to make after shopping and before getting home, I am planning on getting it this evening. Sure, it's hotter today, but I will have a freezer bag with me this time. I just hope they don't sell out this time. I want my blueberry ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment